Welcome

Hello and welcome to my blog! This blog is as much of an experiment for me as attempting a natural childbirth is. I'll be posting reviews on books I read, experiences I have while attempting to green our lives a bit more, and sometimes, general nonsense I come up with! Please feel free to comment and share information!

I look forward to hopefully making it through this experience with my own interesting story about giving birth naturally!

5.13.2010

Alex, the trainer Goddess

Last night was my first night at the gym since Friday. This past weekend I went to my parents with Silas for Mother's Day so didn't really get any exercise in. Monday and Tuesday this week, hubby had to work late, so I didn't wake him up until 7:30 and by then, it isn't worth getting to the gym.

But, last night, I had my weekly training appointment with Alex, and I hate to miss those. Luckily, hubby didn't have to work late or anything so, even though he wasn't feeling well--why are all men such wimps when they have a little sniffle--he got up when I got home from work so I could head to the gym.

Even though I was rushing to get to the gym because I got home a little later than usual and had some things to take care of before heading out, I managed to get in an excellent run on the treadmill. Pushed it to 40 minutes, which I normally don't do on training night, but since I hadn't exercised since Friday night, I wanted to get a little extra in.

After that, training with Alex.
Alex is awesome. I love her. People can say that seeing a personal trainer is a waste of money all they want, but it is definitely not true. Especially since I am pregnant, seeing a trainer is even more important to make sure I am doing the right types of exercise and doing them properly! I have become so strong in the last couple of months since I started seeing Alex... I haven't felt this good in a long time--and to feel this way when I am 27 weeks pregnant... well... it just says a lot for the whole "personal trainer" profession. I rarely even have back pain--which I used to have chronically (even when I wasn't pregnant!)

Last night was an "upper body" fiesta apparently! But, good old Alex will NOT let me escape without plenty of lower body as well... she certainly likes to spice up my life!
  • Hip bends with a full arm raise using one of the pully machine things (and yes, that is its technical name), on 10 lbs. 3 sets each side; 15 reps, 12 reps, 10 reps
  • Side lunges with a 5 lb weight in opposite hand. 3 sets each side; 15 reps, 12 reps, 10 reps
  • Squats with a front arm raise, 3 lb weights. 3 sets; 15 reps, 12 reps, 12 reps
  • Sitting on a stability ball, arm pulls (using the pully machine things) set at 10 lbs, arms fully extended up, brought down and straight back...wowzer! 3 sets; 15 reps, 12 reps, 10 reps

I wish I actually knew what those machines are called, but they are great! You can do so many different exercises with one machine and the motion is so fluid, you almost don't feel like you are pulling weights at all.

Still, I am a bit sore today, but not too bad. It is a good thing anyway since I don't know when I will be able to make it to the gym again. Hubby has to work late again tonight, tomorrow night I have my class at the hospital--I have to take 2 Birthing Center classes (which are given back to back on one night, yay!) and the weekend, as always, is jam-packed with a million things to be done. I have NO idea how I am going to get it all in. Somehow, I always manage...


No comments: